- The films predominantly focus on the identity of refugees and asylum seekers. Do you know if your family has a refugee/asylum seeker identity? How was this affected the way you see yourself in the world?
- Belonging is a significant component of feeling ‘home’ in a country. What makes you belong to Australia? Does it feel like home? Explain your reasons.
Film Specific Questions In order of Appearance
Ravi and Jane – Directed by Stuart O’Rourke – 14mins
- What impacts do you think detention centres would have on a child like Ravi?
- What would you do if you were Jane and you found out Ravi had been taken into detention for something his parents were guilty of?
Man in The Mirror – Directed by Ali Mousawi – 7mins
- Have you ever wanted to a celebrity/actor/singer, if you could be someone, who would it be? And why?
- Do you think Moon Jackson (as he refers to himself) will have a successful life in Australia as a Michael Jackson impersonator? How do you imagine his life here, and if he had stayed in Iran instead?
1001 Nights in Fairfield – Directed by Zanny Begg – 18mins
- Do you know of any ancient fairy tales your family have told you, and how it has helped you understand the world you live in now?
- Some of the stories are of trauma and loss, in the process of seeking refuge. How do you think refugees who leave behind so much cope with a new life in Australia? How can we better support them to adjust to their new surroundings?
Hope City – Directed by Thomas Baricevic – 16 minutes
- Why do the (step) mother and her son struggle to connect with each other? Explain your reasons.
- Have you ever had to leave behind a painful past memory to live in the present moment? Do you think it’s the right thing to do when the teacher and stepmother encourage him to move on from the past?
Villawood Mums – Directed by Guido Gonzales – 8mins
- What are the main differences in the experiences the two women had at Villawood Detention Centre?
- Do you think detention centres are a good idea for processing asylum seekers, or do you think community settlement while processing is better? Discuss the pros and cons of both.
The Phoenix – Directed by Nora Niasari – 23 mins
- Why does the character have cut marks on his body? What do you think he may be suffering from?
- What do you think you can do as an individual to support the rights of refugees and asylum seekers in the future?